Monday, April 9, 2007

Counseling in an online environment

I recently accepted a position with Advanced Academics as an online student counselor. Having several years experience in both secondary and post secondary education at traditional schools, I was a bit skeptical entering into an online environment. To my surprise, the transition was much simpler than I could imagine.

Most counseling at an online institution occurs over email, instant messaging, or phone calls, as opposed to face to face interaction at a traditional brick and mortar school. I have found that the online experience is no less comprehensive or fulfilling for me or the student. As advancements in technology improve, the ability to effectively and globally communicate one-on-one with a student is as easy as a click of a mouse.

At Advanced Academics, I have a variety of tools available to me that enable me to provide students with the counseling they need in a safe, secure environment. Whether I “talk” with the student using our Instant Help program which allows for synchronous messaging, or if I use the Instant Help audio/visual chat function, where I can literally speak to my student’s face to face, I can use any medium that is most convenient for the student and their family. Additionally, our internal email system, ClassMail, allows me to communicate with my students without worry of invalid email addresses or spam blockers.

While many people believe that a certain level of caring is lost in online learning, my experience tells me that’s not the case. Without the constraints of time, space, or location, I have the ability to counsel students about their course schedule, scholarship applications, CLEP testing, or college applications as effectively as I could in person. Yes, it’s possible that I might never hear my students’ voices, or see their faces, but these facts don’t diminish my concern for their success and well-being or my ability to provide effective counsel.

Have you ever utilized online learning as a student, teacher, administrator or counselor? What about the experience was most surprising for you?

Posted By:
Fachaitte Kinslow
Counselor
Advanced Academics, Inc.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you have a very rewarding job! Also it seems that you have great resources to access for the students.

Anonymous said...

As a student, I have taken graduate classes online. In my opinion, an online class is only as good as the level of committment from the instructor and student. I had a very good experience, but I have heard of disheartening experiences. LJ